Thursday, February 1, 2018

RUBBER PANTS (AND DIAPERS)


I was so surprised the other week when I was walking through WalMart and saw a display for rubber pants in the infant section of their clothing department.  These were the first I’d seen since our children were babies.  Of course, I had very little reason to need these since we finally ended the task of potty-training our children (almost fifty years ago).

For those who have no idea of what I am talking about, let me fill you in.

In my days as a young mother, there was no such things as Pampers—or any other disposable diaper.  Disposable means you have to replace over and over.  Our diapers, once bought, lasted for as long as we needed them, for we used good old fashioned cloth diapers.  There were thin gauze-like diapers similar to the diapers I’ve seen sold in today’s markets.  But the best, more absorbable, and longer lasting, were the flannel diapers.  Through the years I’ve even seen the special diaper pins, but I never saw the rubber pants needed to go with them.

Wet diapers, being what they are—wet diapers—needed some kind of a barrier to protect the laps of those lucky enough to be cuddling the baby when the water works erupted.  That’s where the “rubber pants” came in.  Although, I do not remember them actually being rubber so much as a pliable plastic (which became more rigid with the washings they received).

So when a baby was changed of a wet diaper, we’d just lay him or her out, take off the rubber pants and the wet diaper, and scoot a clean diaper under him.  Of course if the diaper had more of a “discharge” in it than just urine, the step of washing him clean fell in there, too.  Then we would powder him (heaven forbid!  Powder?!  How Barbaric!), pin him up, and put the rubber pants back on.  He was again ready for cuddling, smelling as sweet as babies can smell.

But what did we do with the wet diaper?  Soak it in the diaper pail until the next day when we would wash the diapers—yes in the washing machine.  Of course, if the diaper was soiled, we would dunk it in the toilet to get rid of most, if not all, of the residue and resign it to the diaper pail, too.  How often did we do the task of diaper washing?  Well, it depended on how many diapers we had and how often a clean one was required.

A good supply of cloth diapers was anywhere from four to six dozen.  Where did they come from?  Not only Baby Showers, but a lot of us expectant mothers spent time sewing, knitting, or crocheting things for the little ones comming our way.  The most common diapers were twenty-seven inch squares of hemmed material. 

However, when I was expecting our middle child, my mother saw a “formed” diaper.  She made me a couple and I sewed up several dozen of them.  I do not remember the exact measurements but they were like twelve inches wide and maybe sixteen inches long?  In the middle of the length of both pieces (a front and a back), a half circle, maybe two to two and a half inches deep by four inches long would be cut out to form a crotch and accommodate the legs.  These four half circles were sewn on one of the long pieces in that crotch area with the straight sides together in the middle.  This made it more absorbent.  Then the back and front were sewn together, leaving a space of about two to three inches open to turn the diaper inside out.  (I made sure when I sewed them together that the circles were on the outside so that when it was turned inside out, they would be on the inside.)  Then I sewed the open spotclosed and then all around the diaper about one-quarter inch in from the sides to give it a finished look.  By having the circle sewn on the one side, only, I used that side towards the baby and was able to keep most of any staining on the inside of the diaper and the outside, where people could see, was smooth.  Sometimes, to add variety, I would do the back side (the side not against the baby) in either a color or a print flannel.

These diapers, just like the square diapers, could be folded to adjust to the size of the child, from newborn up.

Washed diapers, just like about everything else at that time, were line-dried, even in the winter!  There was nothing softer than a freeze-dried diaper!  It was also a matter of pride to show the world the Lord had blessed us with a little-one.

Diapers were not only used as diapers!  They were also spit-clothes at burping time, with the formed diapers fitting so nicely at the neck.  What on earth did we do with them after the baby was grown and no longer needed them?

After they were potty-trained, the diapers didn’t lose either their value or their worth.  The nicer looking ones were set aside for the brother or sister we hoped to provide.  And NOTHING makes a better cleaning cloth…especially for shining windows…than an old diaper.     

Cloth diapers were, and still are, expensive.  Even the flannel to make them was somewhat dear.  But I really feel sorry for today’s parents who spend a good hunk of their paychecks for disposable diapers, week after week.  Our cost was a “once” expense.  Yes, we had to spend more time on the care of the baby, if you count the rinsing of the diaper from the diaper pail, the washing, drying, and folding for storage.  But that was time we spent thinking about our new addition, dreaming over what they might become, and praying for their safety and good health.

Enough about the diapers.  Back to the subject of this blog, the rubber pants.

Rubber pants came in many sizes from infants to at least size three, and the sizes, like infant clothing today, usually were the same as the age of the child.  Infant, three month, six month...so a size three was for a three year old.

I remember as a young mother, going into the drug store and seeing a display of rubber pants, and was amazed to see some size three rubber pants for sale.  At that time, babies were started to be potty-trained soon after attaining the age of two, when they were able to stay dry all night.  When progress was being made, training pants replaced diapers during the day, and the chore was usually finished well before the age of three.  So my immediate thought to myself was, What child is not trained prior to being three?

Well, one of mine! 

Our middle child was born in early January.  His sister was due in December, almost three years later.  No matter what I did, I just could not get that boy to comply to my wishes that he use the commode!  I begged his father to let my rebellious one know I was not the only one who was not satisfied with his performance, or lack of it, by giving his a swat on his rear.  And before you start with the cry, “Child brutality,” it was perfectly acceptable, praise the Lord, to discipline a child by using either a hand or a hairbrush, or even a belt on that particular part of a child’s anatomy that God had prepared for that purpose!  (I wish it still were.  Maybe today’s children, and especially those who have to exist with them, would be better off.)  In typical male fashion of that day and age, he ignored me.  It was, after all, part of the wife’s job, to do this particular training of the child.

When I was still in the hospital after the birth of our daughter, (yes, we could stay longer than a couple hours or overnight…usually up to a week.) Jerry came to visit me with a big smile on his face and his chest puffed out.  No, in this instance it wasn’t pride of our daughter.  His big news was that he had potty-trained our son.

I asked him how he was able to do in a couple days what I couldn’t do in almost three years, he replied, “It was simple.  When he dirtied his panties, I gave him a swat on the rear and told him ‘No more.’”  I am so glad he did that, but a whole year after I had asked him to do it?

But, again, what caught my eye with WalMart’s display is that all the rubber pants on that rack were size three!  Our truly needed sizes were infant to three.  Of course, the thoughts of today’s young mothers is that potty-training should not even be started until the age of three, when the child has a better grasp of the whole procedure.  All I can say is, I credit you for having more patience, not to mention MONEY, than we, in our day and age, ever had.           


No comments:

Post a Comment